Cupping Therapy & Gua Sha
Cupping is an ancient Chinese Therapy that uses heated vacuum suction to bring blood flow to the surface of the skin, through the application of heated cup rims. Stationary glass cups are placed on the skin, upside down along acupressure lines and meridians, usually on the back or legs, and left for a 5 to 15 minutes. The goal is to move stagnated blood, increasing circulation to a particular muscle region, helping reduce pain and dispersing internal heat to enhance natural cellular healing from injury, physical activity and age.
Traditional Chinese Medicine's Gua Sha Therapy uses scraping to soothe and relieve muscle pains, reduce inflammation and activate acupoints. Overall health is improved by removing the energy blockages that Traditional Chinese Medicine practitioners identify as barriers to the flow of healthy energy or Qi
In Western spas, more comfort is preferred than the East, and with technological advances, here at Man on the Couch, Steve can administer massage oil or lotion to facilitate smooth, gliding movements, as well as using stationary heated acupoint suction, with a more comfortable electronic cupping device which offers settings for 9 different negative pressure levels (suction), 6 different massage modes, and a customised control of temperature. It is best applied after a hot shower, or hot tub, which are available here at the suite.
By creating heat, suction and negative pressure, cupping and gua sha are used to help:
- Loosen scar tissue - helps to increase circulation and break up dense tissue
- Relax connective tissue - releasing tensions held in connective muscle tissue
- Increase hydration and blood flow - allowing a easier movement in joints
- Drain toxins and metabolic waste - detoxification occurs through the skin, similar to sauna heat, and.by opening lymphatic drainage pathways, and removal of lactic acid build up in muscle fibres
- Relax chronically tight muscles - releasing stress and muscular tension
- Body contouring - tightening wrinkled and loose skin, and reducing cellulite, by rejuvenating skin renewal
- Skin-perfecting - reducing spider veins, stretch marks and scars, acne, hives, urticaria and eczema
- Sedate the nervous system - making it excellent for reducing high blood pressure, anxiety, migraines, depression, insomnia and rheumatism, arthritis, fibromyalgia
- Improved digestive metabolism and relief from constipation